He got down on one knee and I said…

Well, actually, I didn’t say yes until he said for the second or third time, “So is that a yes??” -I was too busy crying like a baby.

Oh. my. goodness… I am an engaged woman!

I have seriously been thinking about this day since we were kids in high school.  When Brandon and I started dating, I knew my heart would never be able to love anyone more.  Sure, many high school sweethearts may think that, but I knew it.

Brandon and I started dating when I was 14 years old.  At that time, he might brush his arm against mine and my heart would feel like it was going to jump out of my chest.  It was electrifying.  If you’re a new reader and would like to see old photos and learn about our dating journey, you can do that in a

needs-to-be-updated post here.

I tried to find a high school yearbook to see what he wrote in the back, but couldn’t.

But I did find this note that Brandon wrote in a card he made for me on our first anniversary back then…

Ok, so I know you all just want to know about the proposal!

Brandon knew the one element I absolutely wanted when he popped the question.  I have always told him that I want our families to be there.  No, not right there, but off in the distance watching or nearby somewhere.   –but of course, I couldn’t know they were there beforehand!

This is the our story.

We both went home to be with our families for Thanksgiving on Tuesday.  Since our families only live 30 miles apart, he asked if he could come get me on Wednesday and bring me back to Beaufort with him for a date, just like “old times.” Of course I agreed.

Then, Wednesday came and he scooped me up at around 2:30pm.  Once in downtown Beaufort, we got coffee and browsed the little shops on Bay Street.  Brandon made early dinner reservations at 5:30 so that he could have me back in time to see my brother, who was planning on getting to my parent’s house at around 9pm (B is always thinking of others like that).

We decided that we’d like to watch the sun go down on the waterfront, so we picked out a swing and admired the gorgeous views.  We talked about ordinary things …I had no idea what was coming next.

At 5pm, Brandon suggested that we get off the swing and walk down the waterfront some more.

We took about twenty steps and he said, “You know how I had that business meeting in Rock Hill last week?”  I said, “Yes,” quite slowly and with lots of curiosity.

Then, Brandon’s voice started quivering as he told me that his meeting never happened.  He said that instead, he drove from Charleston to Ridgeland to speak to my dad, my mom, and to call my brother.

…all because he wanted permission to spend the rest of his life with me.

He said a few more things, but at this time, I was crying and in shock -it was all a blur. I hate that I can’t remember what he said! All I know is that Brandon gave the sweetest proposal speech, which was absolutely no surprise.

I was finally able to utter the word, “YES” out of my mouth!

By this time, we had gathered quite the crowd in the Waterfront Park, so we turned to thank them as they clapped and shouted their congratulatory wishes.

He instantly made me the happiest girl in the world.

We will be hopeless on our wedding day -neither one of us could control the tears!

As if it couldn’t get any better… well, it did.
Then Brandon pointed out that our families were off in the distance.

Here we are hugging our moms…

…and my dad.

It was perfect.
After taking more photos, we all celebrated during dinner at Saltus, a wonderful restaurant right there on the waterfront.

Oh yes, did you notice that my brother was there? He drove straight there from the Myrtle Beach area to be there!

Both of our families…

I mean… I’m seriously floating on a cloud right now.  It was so hard not to tell you all yesterday, but I didn’t want any distractions from Thanksgiving! And my, what an amazing Thanksgiving it has been.  I cannot even articulate the feelings of thanks I have in my heart right now.

We are two happy souls.

Xo.

1. November 25, 2011 / 6:59 pm

I had a feeling this was your BIG news! Congratulations and enjoy this blissful time before all the planning begins! So happy for you! πŸ™‚
    -Sara @ SocialSara.net

2. November 25, 2011 / 7:03 pm

I may or may not have just teared up! haha πŸ™‚ How precious! Great story- Congrats!!

3. November 25, 2011 / 7:07 pm

Congratulations! Every time I read one of your posts I think "this is going to be the one where he proposes!" I had a feeling after your last post that you might have gotten engaged. What a thoughtful and romantic proposal! Happy planning (:

4. November 25, 2011 / 7:10 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I have been reading your blog for almost a year and I KNEW this had to be the news! Let the fun begin πŸ™‚

5. November 25, 2011 / 7:11 pm

Reading this on FB was SOO exciting I am so happy for you and can't wait to hopefully read your future wedding ideas! From dresses, to make up, to decor and hair! πŸ™‚ Wish you and your man the best!!!! hugs friend~

6. November 25, 2011 / 7:12 pm

Congratulations!! This is so wonderful! YouΒ΄ll be such a gourgeous bride πŸ™‚
    IΒ΄m so happy for you!!

7. November 25, 2011 / 7:15 pm

Congrats! I'm so happy for you two! I love that he did the proposal in Beaufort, that is my absolute most favorite place in the world..

8. November 25, 2011 / 7:17 pm

Congratulations!! I got chills reading this!
    That is the cutest thing ever and I love the fact that he made sure he did it how you always dreamed πŸ™‚ what a fairy tale story!

ps. your ring is gorgeous!

9. November 25, 2011 / 7:17 pm

ohmygoodness GRACIOUS! this story just made my day! I am SO SO happy for you and Brandon. so excited to see how your wedding comes together–you know I'm here if you want or need any advice…I love that stuff. congratulations again! all my love! xoxo {av}

10. November 25, 2011 / 7:25 pm

That's fantastic!! What a sweet story and a beautiful couple. Best wishes for a fabulous engagement – let the fun begin!

11. November 25, 2011 / 7:31 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! The story made me tear up. =)

xoxo,
    megs [at] Shine On

12. November 25, 2011 / 7:32 pm

Congratulations!! Looks like it was a beautiful moment!

13. November 25, 2011 / 7:49 pm

Congrats! How awesome to have pics of him proposing to you-and to have your family watching!!! So happy for you both! -e

14. November 25, 2011 / 7:50 pm

many, many congratulations! i loved reading your story – & your ring is beautiful! all the best & happy planning! πŸ™‚

15. November 25, 2011 / 7:50 pm

Awww he did SO good! Love when boys are s thoughtful. Congratulations to you two. What a Happy holiday season this will be!

16. November 25, 2011 / 7:59 pm

Congratulations!! Beautiful pictures!!

17. November 25, 2011 / 8:11 pm

Oh congratulations!!!! I don't remember what my husband said when he proposed either, I think that's pretty normal πŸ™‚ you are going to make a beautiful bride!

18. November 25, 2011 / 8:12 pm

Wow, what a perfect story! Congratulations and best of luck with all the planning! This is such an exciting time.

19. November 25, 2011 / 8:19 pm

Congratulations!!! Great news- can't wait to see the wedding planning!

20. November 25, 2011 / 8:39 pm

How cool that you have those pictures!!! I think those pictures would be so neat to have. Congratulations!

21. November 25, 2011 / 8:45 pm

YAY. Love this story. So special to have photos and your parents there! πŸ™‚ Beautiful.

22. November 25, 2011 / 8:51 pm

Aww congrats! Great pictures and your ring is super pretty.

23. November 25, 2011 / 8:56 pm

Congratulations! The setting and scenery looked perfect! So happy for you both!

24. November 25, 2011 / 9:15 pm

Congratulations!!! Having pictures is such a wonderful way to capture that moment!! So excited to watch you plan your wedding!

25. November 25, 2011 / 9:24 pm

OMG!!! So exciting! I'm insanely happy for you and I can't wait to follow along in your wedding planning journey!

26. November 25, 2011 / 9:46 pm

Congrats!!! He did a great job planning that out πŸ™‚ enjoy the wedding planning!

27. November 25, 2011 / 9:46 pm

oh my gosh!! I knew this was coming but I'm so so so excited. and the pictures? You're so lucky to have those!! They even made me cry!! So happy for you! I can't wait for all the wedding planning details. I know you'll be the most gorgeous bride ever.

28. November 25, 2011 / 9:54 pm

Congratulations!! You deserve all the best! Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!!

29. November 25, 2011 / 10:32 pm

Oh my goodness I LOVED this post. Congrats girl I am so happy for you and you look amazing in the pics. What a great guy you have!

xx Emily @ laughliveandshop.blogspot.com

30. November 25, 2011 / 10:41 pm

Congratulations! That is an amazing proposal! I hope you all enjoy this amazing time together!

31. November 25, 2011 / 10:45 pm

Congratulations!!! Oh my gosh, so excited for you!!!! πŸ™‚

32. November 25, 2011 / 11:07 pm

Congratulations!! The proposal was SO sweet! You both look so happy πŸ™‚

33. November 25, 2011 / 11:15 pm

YAY CONGRATS!!!!! best wishes to you and brandon!!!

xoxo

34. November 25, 2011 / 11:17 pm

That is SUCH great news! I think he did a really, really good job with everything; he's definitely a keeper!

I love that you wanted your families there–I did too. They were actually hiding in the bushes near where my hubby proposed to me, and seeing their faces made the entire thing that much better! CONGRATS!

35. November 25, 2011 / 11:28 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! that is the cutest thing ever! i love how there are spy pictures πŸ™‚ so precious! can't wait to read more about the upcoming wedding plans!! <3

36. November 25, 2011 / 11:45 pm

OMGosh!!! Congratulations to you and Brandon! You are going to be a beautiful bride! I think it's so special that your family was there for the big moment πŸ™‚

37. November 26, 2011 / 12:06 am

Congratulations!!! So exciting for you two and your families! I started dating my now husband when we were in 10th grade and we got married 10.5 years later when he finished law school. Happy wedding planning – you will be a beautiful bride!

38. November 26, 2011 / 12:15 am

Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!!! That is such exciting news! I'm recently engaged too and there is no better feeling in the world! Your ring is absolutely gorgeous and it is so precious that you have pictures of "the moment!" So happy for you!

I host a wedding planning linkup on Tuesdays for engaged ladies – if you'd ever like to join in once you've started planning, just hop on over Life with Elizabeth

39. November 26, 2011 / 12:17 am

Aww! Such a perfect proposal!! Congratulations!!!

40. November 26, 2011 / 12:27 am

yay!!! soooo exciting and i am so happy for the two of you. cant wait to read every detail about wedding planning and the big day. and that ring is STUNNING! boyfran has good taste.

41. November 26, 2011 / 1:04 am

OMG! I thought something was up once I started seeing all of these wedding "pins" from you! How exciting! I've always wanted there to be a hidden photographer when I get engaged so I can have some candid photos of that special moment like you have. So, so sweet and the ring is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

42. November 26, 2011 / 1:18 am

Congratulations!!! Your proposal story put tears in my eyes! Your ring is gorgeous, I also have a hearts & arrows diamond. If you ever get the chance see if a jeweler can show you a lose one under the microscope, it's pretty neat! Enjoy planning your big day!

43. November 26, 2011 / 1:23 am

ahh!! congratulations! how exciting! i cannot wait to read all about your plans:) best wishes, xo!

44. November 26, 2011 / 1:44 am

Congrats! The ring is gorgeous! When you did your vlog about changing the name I thought to myself, "she's going to announce that she got engaged!". Every time you have "had an announcement" I always read with baited breath, thinking this will be the one where she announces that she is engaged! Congratulations again, and happy wedding planning. I can't wait to read all about it.

45. November 26, 2011 / 2:11 am

That is awesome! Congrats to you, and what a more than beautiful (if that's possible) ring!

46. November 26, 2011 / 5:03 am

What an awesome story and engagement – CONGRATS! I love that it was documented and photographed! CONGRATS AGAIN and ENJOY this time!

47. November 26, 2011 / 5:05 am

I am so obsessed with this post. Absolutely beautiful. I had tears in my eyes. Your story is so amazing and lovely and I wish you two all the best!! πŸ™‚ You're the most beautiful couple ever and it sounds like there is so much love there. Congrats!!!:)

48. November 26, 2011 / 6:07 am

CONGRATULATIONS HONEY!!!! I'm so happy for you! What an exciting time, perfect for the holidays! Kori xoxo

49. November 26, 2011 / 11:05 am

Congrats girl!!! What an amazing proposal story to tell!!!!

50. November 26, 2011 / 12:43 pm

Congrats! What a beautiful proposal and that ring is gorgeous! I am so happy for you! Y'all are quite possibly the cutest couple ever. Let the fun begin- I loved planning my wedding, enjoy every minute because it flies by fast!

51. November 26, 2011 / 2:54 pm

omg i love everything about this post girl πŸ™‚ CONGRATS! what a story and a lovely ring you have! so lucky! can't wait to hear all your wedding plans as they unfold!

52. November 26, 2011 / 3:02 pm

Congratulations!!! So so so exciting! This gave me goosebumps and reminded me of how I felt when my fiancΓ© proposed. Can't wait to see more details and such as your plan =)

53. November 26, 2011 / 4:16 pm

congrats πŸ™‚ that was an amazing proposal! can't wait to follow along on all your wedding planning!

54. November 26, 2011 / 5:05 pm

Congrats, pretty girl! So happy for you two! I've loved learning about your "love story" via your blog. Gives me hope there are more good guys out there. πŸ™‚ Can't wait to see how your wedding turns out!

55. November 26, 2011 / 5:25 pm

Congratulations! My eyes are watery right now just reading this- such a sweet proposal!! Wishing you two an entire life of happiness!

56. November 26, 2011 / 9:24 pm

Congratulations, hun! It's about time πŸ™‚

Can't wait to see what y'all decide to do for the wedding!

xx

57. November 26, 2011 / 11:47 pm

I was hoping this was your "big news" you wrote about!!!Congratulations girl, yall are so cute together! And tell him good job on that rock!

58. November 27, 2011 / 1:40 am

Yay yay yay! That's so wonderful! Great story – how cool your family was there! Congratulations! Please update all of us on the wedding plans! I'm sure it will all be gorgeous! πŸ™‚

59. November 27, 2011 / 1:43 am

congratulations!!!!!! your story is very sweet and i have no doubt you two will be very happy together…forever πŸ™‚

60. November 27, 2011 / 3:54 am

Congratulations! I cried while reading your post-and I don't even know you! Have fun!

61. November 27, 2011 / 5:40 am

Oh my Gosh, this is amazing! I'm certain you will never forget this Thanksgiving! This is beautiful engagement story! Congratulations!

62. November 27, 2011 / 7:54 am

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear about your wedding plans. I am sure it will be fabulous!! Your story sounds similar to me and my husband. 10 years of dating, 3 years of marriage and we couldn't be any happier.

63. November 27, 2011 / 3:41 pm

Such an awesome proposal and beautiful ring!! You two are a gorgeous couple. Congratulations πŸ™‚ I cannot wait to read about your wedding plans!

64. November 27, 2011 / 4:34 pm

Congrats!!!! I got engage last thanksgiving and we just got married two weeks ago! It is such a fun and special time planning a wedding to spend the rest of your life with your soul mate!!! I wish you two nothing but love and happiness!

65. November 27, 2011 / 7:02 pm

Okay… wonderful proposal! I'm sitting here wiping the tears from my eyes. CONGRATS!

66. November 27, 2011 / 7:52 pm

oh my goodness congrats! so happy for you! And the ring is beautiful he did a great job!!!

67. November 27, 2011 / 8:29 pm

I definitely teared up! I'm so so happy for you!! This sounds perfect, and the ring is BRILLIANT! πŸ™‚

68. November 27, 2011 / 9:29 pm

this brought tears to my eyes! what a PERFECT proposal.and those pictures are amazing- you'll cherish them forever!!
    Congratulations and good luck with wedding planning!

oh and your ring…to.die.for! he def did a good job!

69. November 28, 2011 / 1:55 am

Congratulations! What a romantic story πŸ™‚

70. November 28, 2011 / 4:45 am

congratulations!! what a sweet proposal, and your ring is abslutely stunning!! you will be such a gorgeous bride — have fun with all the planning!! xoxo

71. November 28, 2011 / 4:48 am

Congrats girl! I'm not gonna lie, that definitely brought a few tears to my eyes! You guys are too cute together!! πŸ™‚

72. November 28, 2011 / 4:07 pm

Congrats!!! That's so exciting! Being married is the best! πŸ™‚

73. November 28, 2011 / 4:47 pm

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm a new reader, but I was wondering how far off this was when I started reading the blog. So happy for you– you will be such a stunning bride!

74. November 28, 2011 / 6:16 pm

Congratulations! I love this so much! πŸ™‚ Your ring is stunning, and I love the photos!

I'm so excited for you!

75. November 28, 2011 / 7:19 pm

Congratulations!! What an exciting proposal and I love that both of your families were there! Wishing you Many more happy years together.

76. November 28, 2011 / 9:46 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I was seriously so excited reading this post. I love your love story it gives me chills and makes me remember how I felt about Billy way back then πŸ™‚ butterflies! I'm so happy for you and he did a great job with the ring! xoxo

77. November 28, 2011 / 10:22 pm

Love the photos and what a perfect moment! So excited for you! Cheers to a happy forever for you two!

78. November 28, 2011 / 10:56 pm

What a wonderful proposal! Congrats!!!

79. November 29, 2011 / 12:41 am

Oh my goodness!!! It's so special that you have pictures of him proposing and that your family was there! I've been reading your blog for a while and I was wondering when this would happen! Congratulations to you both!

80. November 29, 2011 / 1:15 am

How sweet! I hope my proposal is that amazing one day! Congrats! He did great!!!

81. November 29, 2011 / 1:52 am

congrats!!!! your ring is s ooo pretty!!!!!!

82. November 29, 2011 / 4:04 am

Oh my goodness, I am so excited for you!! Such a sweet story that I teared up reading it. Your ring is beautiful!! Best wishes to you both!! Xoxo

83. November 29, 2011 / 4:35 am

Congratulations! Love that you have pictures!!

84. November 29, 2011 / 2:40 pm

MAZEL TOV! (as they say in my neck of the woods πŸ™‚ Such a sweet story.

85. December 1, 2011 / 2:39 am

How perfect! Congrats!

86. December 1, 2011 / 3:00 am

Congratulations to you both! Such a sweet proposal and your ring is stunning.

87. December 2, 2011 / 5:00 pm

I am clearly behind on my blogging… CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you! Very sweet proposal and your ring is BEAUTIFUL! πŸ™‚ Enjoy all of the planning!

88. December 3, 2011 / 12:11 am

I can't believe I missed this. That is so adorable and you two will have the most beautiful wedding and babies ever!! Congrats!

89. December 6, 2011 / 2:08 pm

And I am the one with the comment No. 100!
    I am so happy for you and loved the idea he did brought someone to take pictures!
    I read blogs from all over the world.. and get a salary for that.. but yours is one of those few I do remember πŸ™‚

90. December 8, 2011 / 3:53 am

Congratulations, your ring is gorgeous and your story made me misty! I absolutely love that the whole moment was captured!!

91. December 8, 2011 / 5:13 am

This is so sweet! I catch up on your blog almost daily, but forgot to tell you a BIG congrats!! You all are precious!

92. December 15, 2011 / 4:48 pm

Awww congratulations! How exciting!

I haven't been around in a while, and when I was looking at a recent post I noticed a ring on THAT finger! I knew I had to back track and find THE post! ha! Beautiful ring, and what a sweet proposal! So sweet of him to have your families there for your special moment. The picturs are priceless! I love that y'all have dated for a while, and were high school sweethearts! My husband and I were too! We got engaged after almost 9 years of dating and in about 5 months we'll celebrate one year of being married.

Enjoy your engagement!!