ready to juice

I’ve been wanting to try a three-day juice cleanse for a while now, but always seem to make an excuse as to why I shouldn’t.  They’re expensive.  I’ll be hungry.  I have an event or dinner planned mid-week.  Not good for my metabolism.  Some say it isn’t healthy. The list goes on.

Then I went home to see my parents one weekend and saw a huge box had been delivered to their doorstep.  It was a juicer.  Throughout the weekend, I saw my dad juice carrots, celery, wheat grass, brussel sprouts, cabbage, ginger root, apples, spinach, kale, cranberries, cucumbers, and a ton of other good-for-you-foods.  He put all of those together into one juice.

Well, I’m not that extreme, but it did inspire me to start juicing myself.  I learned in my nutrition classes in college that juicing is the absolute BEST way to get nutrition from a fruit or vegetable because the juice of the plant is so rich in nutrients. By drinking it, your body is immediately absorbing these nutrients into the bloodstream for quick utilization by the body.

I am no nutritionist by any means, but here are some things I’ve learned by doing a little research:

– By eating fruits and veggies, we absorb 30% of the nutrients (antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, enzymes, and phytochemicals).  By juicing, we absorb 90%.

– Fruit and vegetable juice contains enzymes that are important for your digestion.  These enzymes are destroyed by cooking fruits and veggies.

– Juicing is a GREAT at detoxifying your body because the antioxidants will help carry the toxins that come from the fat cells that have been broken down.

– Nutrients from raw juices have the ability to correct imbalances in the body’s cells that come from eating unhealthy and unnatural foods.

– Since fruit and vegetable juice is easy to digest, it leaves more energy for the body to fight off diseases and heal itself.  (Many doctors recommend it for those fighting cancer and other diseases.)

For anyone interested in purchasing a juicing machine, I found a Living Social deal this morning for a $130 juicer…on sale for $59!  I watched video reviews and it seems to do the job just as well as the more expensive ones.

Happy Juicing!

…and on a more exciting note, HAPPY FRIDAY!

1. January 11, 2013 / 4:17 pm

I was going to do a post about this soon too! I juice a lot and feel so much better when I do. An old coworker of mine had cancer and beat it simply by juicing. And who knew you could juice brussel sprouts and cabbage?!?

2. January 11, 2013 / 4:45 pm

I bought that juicer on Groupon six months ago. It works…but creates a mess, spits juice everywhere, doesn't catch a lot of pulp (so you need to empty midway) and the motor has trouble with some fruits. I wish I had just invested in a Breville….just adding my two cents because I wish someone had told me! 🙂

3. January 11, 2013 / 6:19 pm

It seems everyone is juicing lately. I need to jump on the bandwagon, I've heard such good things about it!

Shannon
    bigdreamsandexpensivetaste.blogspot.com

4. January 11, 2013 / 6:23 pm

I got that same juicer on Boxing Day on sale for $152. $130 is a great deal! I have been juicing for a few weeks now and have never felt better! I've even lost a few pound which was not my goal but I'm not complaining.Once you get past the 3 day detox and just incorporate juicing into a healthy diet you will feel amazing.

Robyn xo

5. January 11, 2013 / 10:21 pm

I'm a juicing fanatic! Hope you love it, it's so awesome!

6. January 12, 2013 / 3:56 pm

I've always wanted to juice!! Hope it's yummy:)

7. January 12, 2013 / 7:14 pm

Hey girl, I have a question for you! I love your blog!! And I remember you changing your url a while back, how did you get it to redirect? I want to change mine without losing followers!!

8. January 13, 2013 / 10:36 pm

such an amazing blog
    congratulations honey!!!
    =D

9. January 14, 2013 / 3:12 am

I have a friend with a juicer and I always looking forward to using it when I visit her…it is SO delicious and good for you! The better taste of fresh juice also makes you realize how much extra "stuff" is added to the juice we buy at the store!

10. January 18, 2013 / 2:39 am

What a great deal!!!! I have been eyeing some juicers i just don't know which to get! So I end up ordering my juices 🙂