splurge vs. save // stuart weitzman 5050 boot

Stuart Weitzman’s over the knee boot – the 5050 – is a definite icon.  It’s made up of half leather (or suede) and half stretchy material (lyrcra), so it’s sure to be a fit for everyone.

They’ve been around the block for over 20 years and have been made a classic by the tastes of celebrities galore.  Here are a few pictures of celebs (and a fashion blogger!) wearing these stylish kicks.

But… at around $600 a pair, they are definitely an investment.  Sure to last a lifetime, but a definite splurge item.  Here are a few look-a-likes that won’t break the bank.

Nine West “Teggy” – $199

Vince Camuto “Karita” – $169

(image sources: 1 // 2 // 3 // // 5)

1. November 20, 2013 / 4:00 pm

The fact that Blaire Waldorff wore them makes me love them even more, however I'm a huge Vince Camuto fan, so I may just have to stick to that more cost effective option 😉

2. November 20, 2013 / 5:58 pm

These boots have been on my wish list for years, and I have even attempted to buy them but just couldn't pull the trigger. Maybe one day..they are just amazing!!

3. November 20, 2013 / 6:04 pm

Awesome finds Megan! I love the 5050 boots but yes, $600 is definitely an investment!

4. November 20, 2013 / 9:41 pm

I found a pair of the SW Mainline boots new with tags on ebay. They look just like the 5050 just have a hidden wedge. I bid and won them for under $200! I couldn't believe it!! Best boots ever!

5. November 21, 2013 / 12:17 pm

Thank you so much for including me here. I feel like I am in great company! 🙂 As a stylist I have to say that the SW 50/50 boots are THE best investment piece in my wardrobe {besides my leather moto}. They have lasted a few seasons so far and I literally get stopped by strangers asking me who makes my boots. at $600 they are definitely not cheap but they are comfortable and super chic. xx

6. Joanna
    March 25, 2017 / 6:31 pm

I also just invested in the real deal and got stopped on the first day I wore them. I had bought a pair of rag and bone Harlow boots 4 yrs ago at $600 and felt sick for about 1minute. I still wear them all the time and adore them. I think with investment pieces, if you can source out on eBay for a little less… you will never look back and feel regret bc they literally last for yrs and yrs. love love love my sw 50:50 boots.