watson’s nursery reveal

My vision for Watson’s nursery was something not too babyish, but still so very sweet and calming. I also thought I’d take advantage of the only time I’ll ever be able to have total control of his room decor! Figured I’d decorate with as many bunny stuffed animals and white fabrics as I can for now… because the footballs and toy trucks will arrive soon enough, I’m sure.

I started off with the Bratt Decor Joy Canopy Crib in distressed black cast iron as my inspiration piece. With such a visually strong crib, I knew I wanted the rest of the nursery to be simple with shades of white and grey in various textures like faux fur, seagrass, and linen.

Way Way Allen, an artist local to Charleston, was so sweet to paint two pieces especially for his nursery, which we hung over the changing table. You may have noticed some of Way Way’s work at Serena & Lily. I’ve been a fan of her artwork for the longest time and was so excited to have two pieces in Watson’s room. Had them framed with Framebridge, which, for the record, is an awesome process from the service to the price. I think it’s the best way to go about framing. You can use code HOLYCITYCHIC to save 10% off your order, if you’d like.

Two other things I knew I wanted for this nursery were a big Bird of Paradise plant for a pop of color and a big white glider with a washable slipcover, which I found at Celadon. That’s my home decor go-to store in Charleston—both their retail store in Mount Pleasant and their warehouse/outlet in North Charleston. Their buyers have a super eye for unique pieces and the classics, too. I just know what I find at Celadon isn’t going to be everywhere. Also got the bookshelf and that hand carved wooden fish from there, too. They’ve also got an online shop!

And to sit next to that glider, I found this Robert Abbey Alvin Adjustable Pharmacy Floor Lamp at Lamps Plus. (They are another go-to for me.) The painting behind the light was done a long time ago by Brandon’s grandmother. We also added the Etienne Chandelier from RH Baby and Child. Hard to tell from the photos, but it’s wooden and I love it.

These photos are by Marni Rothschild. She shot our wedding, so it meant a whole lot to have her catch this milestone, too. There’s a bunch more photos she took that I’d love to share with y’all one day soon. It’s funny looking at some of them because I can see in our eyes just how sleep deprived we are, but I kind of love that I can see that in the photos at the same time… because that is certainly our life right now!

I’ve been soaking up every second I possibly can with our baby boy, but once I can get back into the regular blogging routine, I promise to share what I packed and used in my hospital bag, what’s in Watson’s closet, how I organized his dresser drawers, what I’ve been storing in my diaper bag, and first month must haves. I always love posts like that, so hopefully you will too!

crib: Bratt Decor

artwork over changing table: Way Way Allen

framing by: Framebridge (HOLYCITYCHIC to save 10%)

changing table: Ikea

hardware pulls: Anthropologie

bookshelf: Celadon

“beach baby” sign: mud-pie

glider: Celadon

fish wall hanging: Celadon

gold floor lamp: Lamps Plus

jute rug: Rugs USA

sheepskin rug: Rugs USA

rug pad under bigger rug (It’s the best!): Rug Pad USA

baskets: Joss & Main (update – found them here!)

blanket hanging out of basket: Modern Burlap

chandelier: Restoration Hardware Baby & Child

bedding: bumper, sheet, crib skirt all from RH Baby

curtain panels: West Elm

gold curtain rods: Bed Bath & Beyond

paint color: custom formula shared here

previous BABY updates

pregnancy announcement  |   14 weeks  |   16 weeks  |   18 weeks  |   20 weeks  |  23 weeks  |  27 weeks  |  29 weeks  |  31 weeks  |  34 weeks  |  10 pregnancy must-haves  |  37 weeks

39 weeks  |  watson’s birth story

**UPDATE: See how Watson’s nursery changed after it was “lived in” for a while!***

p.s. The winner for the diamond earrings giveaway was randomly chosen… congratulations to Laura Kathryn Cardamone!!

1. April 22, 2016 / 12:00 pm

i love this space! it's so calming and serene! he is adorable 🙂 congrats mama! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

2. April 22, 2016 / 1:07 pm

So beautiful!!!! Would you mind sharing where you got the small lamp on the dresser/ changing table? I need a small lamp for our little ones room and that's exactly what I was looking for!

3. April 22, 2016 / 1:12 pm

LOVE this! It turned out so perfectly and Watson is adorable! Can I ask where you got the basket that he is laying in? We are having a baby girl in June and I'd love to pick that up for her newborn photos! Can't wait for the rest of your baby posts!

• April 22, 2016 / 5:28 pm

Thanks! The basket belongs to our photographer, so I'm not sure where it's from. I would google "seagrass basket" and see what ya get. And congrats on your baby girl who will be here so soon! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. 🙂

4. April 22, 2016 / 1:13 pm

Perfection ! He is adorable and that room is perfect !

5. April 22, 2016 / 1:54 pm

What a sweet little room! It is perfect! And so is he!

6. What a gorgeous nursery! and scrumptious baby boy! makes me miss the newborn stage. I remember looking so tired in all our pictures too, but you know what it's life and that newborn stage passes so quickly so enjoy it sweet Mama:)
    xoxo

7. April 22, 2016 / 6:20 pm

What a sweet room! Can you share the paint color? It's exactly what I was thinking for our nursery!

8. April 23, 2016 / 1:49 am

What are the paint colors you used for this room?

9. April 23, 2016 / 8:11 am

Love it! Having a baby boy in July and one his nursery bedding sets is all white too 🙂 Looking into a basket for him to lay in for photos now haha

10. April 23, 2016 / 2:41 pm

So beautiful! Would you also mind sharing about his monogram shoes? I have a 5 month old little guy that I would love to see in them!

11. April 27, 2016 / 1:52 am

Every single detail is amazing, I love how cozy and soft the room feels! Xo, Stephanie

12. May 4, 2016 / 4:29 pm

I love the beach baby sign! It's exactly the vibe I'm channeling for our baby's coastal nursery. Congrats!

13. June 2, 2016 / 1:49 pm

Hi Megan! Can you share where you got the plant in your nursery? I also live in Charleston and looked at Lowes and couldn't find anything similar. Is it a banana plant? Thanks in advance!

• June 2, 2016 / 8:33 pm

Hey! It is from Lowe's on James Island. It's not in the outside plant area, but in the area just inside of that where they keep orchids, etc. Hope this helps!! It's a Bird of Paradise plant. 🙂

14. June 29, 2016 / 5:45 pm

Hi Megan! I have the same bookshelf from Celadon and want to use it in my baby boy's nursery as well. Mine doesn't have that baby blue background and seems a little more gray. Can you tell me if you painted yours or did you buy it that way? I love the look of yours and may try my hand at painting!

15. February 14, 2017 / 5:16 pm

Hi Megan! Can you please share the paint color you used for his room? I love it!

16. Betsy
    March 22, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Hi Megan! His nursery is beautiful! Can you please share the link to his bedding (it was linking to the chandelier) and also share the paint color used for his room? Thank you! We are due with our first baby boy in mid-July! So excited to meet him!

• holycitychic
      March 22, 2017 / 3:02 pm

I fixed it all! Glad you saw where I wrote back about the paint color formula. I added that link to the details list too!

Congratulations on your baby boy on the way! There is absolutely nothing better than seeing him for the first time. xoxo

• Betsy
        March 23, 2017 / 9:29 pm

Aw thank you so much for sharing. It will be such a fun and new adventure for us. Little boys just love their mama’s..I’m so excited! Thank you again, Megan! I just love your style and blog<3

17. November 22, 2017 / 5:13 pm

Please please please tell me where you got that gorgeous corner plant!!!