kitchen reveal

This has been a long time coming, but our kitchen is all finished! First, let’s take a look back at what it looked like when we moved in.

Woah, I think I had blocked this kitchen out of my mind and I forgot just how much help it really needed!

We moved into this house mid-December 2015 and by February, we knew it was time to get the ball rolling on the kitchen reno. We worked with Cabinets.com and came up with a new layout that made sense for us. We wanted the sink to be moved under the window (a new, double the size window!) and wanted a custom range hood to be a focal point, so we moved the range to where the sink is shown above. After a few other slight revisions, we nailed down the plans with our cabinet designer and placed our order! There are tons of cabinet types and finishes at cabinets.com, but we knew from the very beginning that we wanted a white shaker style. Our new cabinets shown below are called Deerfield Shaker II Maple Bright White.

Before we move on, if you haven’t seen the first two kitchen updates I posted, you should definitely check those out first! It’s really neat to see the whole process all come to life.

Update #1 shows all the demolition and the selection process of our counters and other finishes.

Update #2 shows the flooring updates and more about the cabinets and their installation!

So in summary, we went from this:

to this…

to this…

The cabinet above is our pantry, microwave cabinet, and the drawers are for various kitchen tools. Since our kitchen is not wide enough for an island, we wanted to create an area for seating of some type, so that’s why we made this little breakfast bar area with stools.

You can see above how we replaced the old, small window with one about double the width. I can’t tell you how much of a difference that made! Let there be light!

Got to have that Beautycounter Hand Wash. 😉

Our sink is the Nantucket Sinks Hyannis 30. It’s made of Italian Fireclay and I can’t tell you how beautiful it is in person. It’s completely solid and polished beautifully. It’s pretty much the prettiest thing in the kitchen, if you ask me.

KITCHEN SOURCES:

cabinets: Cabinets.com
cabinet knobs: Cosmas
drawer pulls: most have these, but the larger pantry drawers has these

sink: Nantucket Sinks

counters: Honed Carrara Marble from Vitoria International, fabricated by tile & stone
light above sink: Visual Comfort E.F. Chapman Boston Functional Single Library in Antique Nickel from Lighting Commerce
range/oven: Whirlpool Gold 5 Burner Gas Range and Oven

faucet: Kingston Brass (I later found cheaper here!)
pot filler: Kingston Brass
rug: persian rug via Fletcher’s Finds

Check out part one and part two of the kitchen renovation series, too!

1. August 15, 2016 / 1:01 pm

The space turned out beautiful Megan! I love farmhouse sinks and this one is so pretty!

2. August 15, 2016 / 1:26 pm

It's beautiful! Congrats!!

3. August 15, 2016 / 1:36 pm

Love this!! We are redoing our kitchen — what is your stove? I LOVE it!

4. August 15, 2016 / 1:43 pm

Absolutely beautiful! Your style is perfection. We re-did our kitchen a year ago and I went with a single basin sink and it is hands down the best decision I made for that project. You will be so glad you have it!

• August 15, 2016 / 4:13 pm

Isn't it the greatest? I love a single basin. But really, I think the person who appreciates it the most is our baby because it's the perfect sized bath tub for him!

5. August 15, 2016 / 2:47 pm

Megan, it looks so amazing! You have amazing taste and style. It's been so fun watching your home come to life – can't wait to see more!

6. August 15, 2016 / 3:34 pm

Gorgeous!!! What contractor did you use to install those amazing cabinets?

7. August 15, 2016 / 5:04 pm

It looks amazing!! Do you mind me asking what the ballpark for kitchen renos like this is? My husband and I have started househunting and see some houses where we'd want to redo the kitchen but we have no idea what that would cost!

Her Heartland Soul
    herheartlandsoul.com

• August 15, 2016 / 6:51 pm

Hi Erin… thank you! I think renovations similar to this can come in all price ranges based on the size of your kitchen and of course the materials used. Before we started, I did some research and learned the average kitchen reno was like $25K. I thought that was absolutely crazy and didn't know how ours could be that much. Well, then ours ended up being $5,000-$10,000 more than that! Yeesh. But we really took ours down to the studs almost and totally redid the plumbing, electric, and HVAC vent locations in our ceiling, too. I think those things are not typical in regards to the average reno. Good luck house hunting! And as a Realtor, I can tell you that a kitchen remodel is the absolute best thing you can do for resale!!

8. August 15, 2016 / 8:28 pm

Wow, it looks like all of the trouble of renovating was totally worth it! That is such a gorgeous kitchen! I love the cabinet design above the stove and the bright light that comes in over the sink. Y'all did such a great job with it all!

9. August 15, 2016 / 8:59 pm

Megan this is BEAUTIFUL. Can I come cook dinner?! Absolutely obsessed!

10. August 16, 2016 / 5:44 am

Ah! This is gorgeous! Such a fabulous new layout. We just started our kitchen remodel (demo day was today!)…. We are also going with marble countertops but are going with imperial danby since the coloring is perfect for our kitchen. I am SO nervous about marble in the kitchen though! Do you mind if I ask how yours is doing? Ours will be honed as well – have you noticed any etching yet? Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!!!

• August 16, 2016 / 1:26 pm

Thank you! Yay for your new kitchen! Hope it's all a smooth and easy process for you guys. Sadly, I have noticed a little etching on our marble …and we had it sealed twice, plus I'm a nut about keeping the counters wiped. However, it only bothered me on the day I noticed the first etch. I almost prefer the lived in look it gives – I don't think it looks bad at all! And truly, no one else would notice it other than me because it's minimal. I definitely think honed is the way to go though because it does not scratch nearly as easy as polished! Yours will be beautiful!

11. August 16, 2016 / 10:14 am

Would you share the paint and trim colors you used and what type of finish (high gloss, eggshell, etc)? Thanks!!!

• August 16, 2016 / 1:20 pm

Hi Win! For the walls? We used a custom Sherwin Williams color on the walls in Eggshell in the Harmony paint, which has no VOCs. We started off with the color, "Zurich White," as the base, then added a drop of black and a drop of green to make the perfect shade. You could tell this to someone at Sherwin Williams to mix it yourself… two 32 drops black, one 64 drop black, one 64 drop maroon, two 32 drops deep gold, one 128 drop new green. As for the trim, I can't remember to be honest. We used whatever the guys at Sherwin Williams suggested for a popular trim color. They said it was their best seller. Hope this helps!

12. August 16, 2016 / 12:45 pm

Megan, it's a beautiful kitchen. Well done to you both.
    Not that you need them yet, but i'd basket some "magnetic child locks" on amazon. We replaced our kitchen recently and with our curious 18mth old, we had to immediately find child locks for all our lovely new cabinets……… the magnets worked without spoiling the look we'd just spent a fortune creating. I won't link since i'm UK based, but i'm sure you'll find some on the US site!!! Lx
    PS. I never normally comment, but since i'm here………..love your blog. You and your family are gorgeous. And i hope your mum's health is much much improved. x

• August 16, 2016 / 1:13 pm

You are so sweet. Thank you! My mom's health is a LOT, lot better! Thank you for telling me about the magnetic child locks. I've never heard about those, but I will definitely keep them in mind for the moment we need them!

13. August 17, 2016 / 7:39 pm

Oh my goodness, your new kitchen is soo beautiful!! It doesn't even look like it's in the same house! Can you please come to FL and redo our kitchen? 😉

14. August 22, 2016 / 3:57 pm

This is stunning! This is kind of the kick in the pants I needed to really get serious about our addition/reno! So great! Thanks for sharing.

15. August 22, 2016 / 7:42 pm

Wow, it turned out so great and beautiful! I bet you are really enjoying your time in there now. So pretty!

16. August 25, 2016 / 2:28 pm

Beautiful kitchen!!

17. August 30, 2016 / 2:47 pm

What an amazing transformation! Would you mind sharing the source of your cabinet hardware?

18. November 5, 2016 / 2:31 am

Hi Megan,

Looks gorgeous. I have a question. I am considering the same sink or another similar in that brand but still Fireclay. I love the look of the white Fireclay but did not do a lot of reading on it before I fell in love. Now that I am doing some research I am seeing things that are frankly all over the place about the durability. Some tout them as superior and others are saying that (not this brand) but Fireclay is chipping on them like crazy. One woman who had a Kohler Fireclay farmhouse sink said her sink apron cracked. Some say a man's belt or buttons on clothing are scratching it. Now of course I am more confused and conflicted than ever. Do you have any advice for me?

• December 20, 2016 / 4:04 pm

Hi Carolyn! We have used our sink since June or July now and it still looks just as good as new. The durability is incredible – even after lots of pots have been piled high in there!

19. December 20, 2016 / 3:18 pm

Hi Mega, did you get a custom cabinet base for that sink? I am considering buying a Nantucket sink Hayannis 30 and it seems like it might fit 30'' base cabinet but I can't figure it out yet.

Kate

• December 20, 2016 / 4:03 pm

Hi Kate! I just told Cabinets.com what size and kind of sink we were using and they sent the appropriate base. Our contractor cut the space our sink inserts. So no, not entirely custom – but I did have to specify that it was going to be a farm sink and they needed to know how wide to make the base! Hope this helps.

20. Elizabeth
    March 30, 2017 / 11:17 am

Hi Megan,

Just wondering if you could comment on how you are liking your marble countertops? We are wanting to put them in our new kitchen, but have been warned several times about the etching and staining. Have you had problems with this? We’re also thinking about using the faucet, is it holding up well? Thanks!

• holycitychic
      March 30, 2017 / 5:41 pm

Hey Elizabeth! We still love the marble. I think I may have done quartz if I felt that this was going to be a forever home, but it was almost double the price. There are some areas where our marble has etched, but it’s so minimal and I honestly love the “wear,” which has surprised me because I’m normally so put off by little blemishes on my belongings. You do have to be careful to not set anything too acidic down on it… like lemons, etc, but that’s not hard for me because I have a big butcher block that I do all of my cutting and meal prep on anyway. I would do marble again in a heartbeat. It’s so beautiful. Plus, the little small marks we have are not even noticeable to other people. It’s great. Loving the faucet as well! The actual spout of the faucet wiggles a little—it has since it was installed. I just have assumed our contractor did something wrong when installing it because it’s a quality piece. I just never asked them about it, nor is it enough to bother us. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Elizabeth
        April 3, 2017 / 9:02 am

Great suggestion on the butcher block, I’ll have to get one of those once we do the install!

21. March 31, 2017 / 6:29 am

Great post! The design of your kitchen is incredible, thanks for sharing