watson’s bedtime + favorite pajamas

Our bedtime routine for Watson hasn’t changed much since I posted about it last when he was 5 months old. Bath, bottle, reading time, bed… all pretty much the same, just a little more relaxed now. We start off with a bath at about 7pm or so, which in our new house is actually in a real bath tub, ha ha. (He got baths in the sink every night in our old house because the kitchen was a much more comfortable space than the guest bath!)

This tub is in Watson’s very own bathroom in his very own room… and he LOVES it. During the middle of the day, he runs in his bathroom with all his clothes on and climbs into the bathtub just to play with his toys in the dry tub. Yes, he climbs up on the edge and throws himself over. He has no fear.

Then we get all changed into jammies. I bought this cute “shoot for the moon” t-shirt for him from Nordstrom knowing we had the solar eclipse coming up. Had to have these matching moon and star jogger pants to go with it. They aren’t meant to be jammies, but these two are SO comfy—and I’m just over here wishing I had a set in my size. But, I’m wearing this PJ set, which I’ve got to say is one of the best feeling sets of jammies I own.

He was eclipse ready! Did you get a good view at your house or did you travel somewhere to see totality? We were in the path of totality and it was amazing to see.

I had never really thought to order Watson’s pajamas from Nordstrom, but they have so many cute casual play clothes that can honestly be worn as day wear or for sleeping. Here are some favorites for toddlers below! With how quickly these little babes grow, I’m all for any clothing that serves multiple purposes. And like pretty much anything from Nordstrom, you know the quality of the fabrics are going to be really good and soft.

Then we read a book. Normally Brandon reads to us, but he was behind the camera this time. 🙂

This “If I Were a Bunny” book is one of our favorites! It has touch and feel pages and it’s really cute.

Since this outfit of Watson’s is not meant to be pajamas, I ordered him these precious precious little Toms for if he were to wear it out and about. I don’t think there is anything sweeter than tiny baby shoes. (Or toddler shoes!)

Then when he has a couple of ounces of milk left, he normally hops down and wants to adventure around his room. He climbs up on his “rocking horse,” which was a Christmas gift, but this one is very similar.

He’s so sweet with all of his stuffed toys. They are his babies and he gives them each kisses and hugs.

Then after he gets those last wiggles out, he hops back on my lap (or Brandon’s) and finishes his bottle. We are still working on transitioning to a sippy cup ONLY, but for bedtime, I totally let it slide. You know when you’re a parent, you’ve kind of got to pick your battles.

Hugs and kisses!!

Then it’s bedtime. It’s normally 7:30 around this time. We say our prayers, give a kiss goodnight, and put him in his crib. He’s always awake, but we walk out the room and let him settle himself to sleep. Sometimes he blows us a kiss before we pull the door to.

OUTFIT DETAILS

Watson:  t-shirt  |  jogger pants  |  toms shoes

Me: PJ short set (comes in pants version too)  |  similar earrings

SHOP THIS POST

Thank you to Nordstrom for partnering on this post.

1. August 23, 2017 / 11:17 am

The photos on his rocking horse are precious! We’re on the same Moms on Call schedule, but do you find it hard getting home and getting him into bed before 8 each night? I feel like it’s such an early bedtime that we end up having to pass on so many things (movie nights in the park, dinners with friends or family that don’t start til 6:30 or 7, etc). Being on the schedule is great, but do you find it hard to get all errands done during the day and getting nap time in too? This is my struggle!

• holycitychic
      August 24, 2017 / 1:25 pm

I thought the same thing at first… how in the world am I going to start bedtime at 7?? But we do it… most every night, he is in his crib with the lights out at 7:30. There are occasional nights when we have something going on, like dinner out or something like that, where he goes to bed at 8 or 9, but we try to keep him on schedule. It’s definitely hard to do, but I’ve found that our days are so much easier this way. He naps for 3 hours from 11:30-2:30… then sleeps 12 hours at night. He definitely doesn’t do that when we screw up his bedtime and routine!

I think it would be harder if I weren’t home with him during the day… so I’m able to take him with me to do errands during the middle of the day, which is huge! If I were working a traditional 9-5 schedule, I think I would run errands on my lunch break if I could. It’s a hard balance! But I feel like we have started doing so many more daytime activities on the weekends than we did before so that our evenings stay consistent at home. Sometimes we will go over to friends houses for dinner and just put him down in his Baby Bjorn Travel Crib in another room. He’s pretty flexible for us. Then when we want a date, we just put him to bed at 7:30 and have the sitter come then for us to go out for dinner alone. 🙂 And honestly, I’m a homebody in the evenings. I love being home! So that helps too. haha!

2. Nicole
    August 23, 2017 / 3:15 pm

I love your floral pajamas and have been debating the same pair for some time now. Was wondering if you’ve machine washed them, and if so how they held up? As cute as they are, not sure I’m diligent enough to hand wash pajamas.

• holycitychic
      August 24, 2017 / 1:26 pm

I haven’t yet… they are in the laundry basket! I will update you asap. 🙂

• Nicole
        October 7, 2017 / 11:17 am

Did they survive?

3. Katie
    August 24, 2017 / 9:10 pm

I read your first night time routine blog and I love this updated one too! I also used Moms On Call as my ‘baby bible’ based on your recommendation (thank you sooo much!), and our night time routine is very similar! I like that you read a book during the bottle. My little one wants nothing but milk and sleep at bed time so fitting in a book has been tough- I will definitely try that! One question- do you brush Watson’s teeth at night yet? My baby girl is 11 months old, and only has 2 teeth, so we haven’t really started that yet, but I’m thinking my routine will have to change a bit when we do. Just curious how you do it, and when you started! Thanks so much!!

4. Courtney
    September 22, 2017 / 8:34 am

How did you transition out of the Dock A Tot?

• holycitychic
      September 22, 2017 / 9:28 am

We let him nap in it, but took it away for bedtime. I was worried how he would take that, but it was a super smooth transition! We made sure to put him in one of those wearable blankets and never had any issues.