I was the first person to turn my head whenever someone would mention essential oils. Nope, not for me. No thank you. The huge variety of oils, all the different brands, and remembering each oil’s purpose seemed way too overwhelming to me and plus, we got by just fine without them, so why bother? But then I kept hearing more and more about ways people incorporate oils into their lifestyle and I learned about the ways oils were making a positive impact on their health. I learned I could replace all the cleaners in my entire house using an oil called Thieves. I learned that I could avoid tylenol and ibuprofen for headaches thanks to oils like Peppermint and Panaway. I found that I could help keep my children from getting sick by boosting their immune systems with these oils. The oils could soothe scrapes, make my skin look better, and so on… These are just a few of the uses that caught my attention.
So, I started looking into it more and after months of research, I decided I would buy a Young Living Starter Kit to see what all the fuss was all about. I figured it couldn’t hurt… it comes with 11 of the most popular oils, a beautiful diffuser, a large sample of Thieves cleaner, samples of Ningxia Red, and lots more. All together, the whole kit is worth over $360, but it only costs $160! Not to mention, by buying a starter kit, I automatically became a “member,” so now I get all of my oil purchases at wholesale pricing. Saving 24% off every single order has definitely come in handy.
Here are the 11 included oils in the kit and their uses:
You also receive a bonus oil called Stress Away, which is one of my very favorites! It has tropical and citrus notes… the best way I can describe it is that it smells like vacation. I love diffusing it with Citrus Fresh because it makes our house smell so yummy and fresh. I also love mixing it with Lavender and a carrier oil (more on that soon) and rolling it directly on my skin to melt away stress.
It has now been over three months since I bought my starter kit and since then, I’ve added quite a few other oils to my collection too. I use every single one of the oils for the uses that are listed above, but here are a few additional ways I use them:
- One drop of lemon in my water to detoxify my body (must use a glass cup or bottle).
- Lavender directly on burns and cuts to heal and lighten scars.
- Diffuse frankincense and lavender together for a restful night’s sleep.
- Take a rollerball bottle and add in 6 drops of Stress Away and 6 drops Lavender, then fill the rest of the bottle with a carrier oil (like fractionated coconut oil, almond oil, etc). Apply to wrists and neck to relieve stress and anxiety.
- Add one drop of Peppermint to my coffee for it to taste like a peppermint mocha latte.
- Citrus Fresh. Add it in any diffuser blend to make it smell fresh and inviting.
- Put one drop of Copaiba on my finger and rub on Rosie’s sore gums from teething. It almost always calms her.
- Diffuse Thieves for immune support. (It will literally eliminate bacteria and viruses from the air or anything it is applied onto.) I also will mix this with a carrier oil and rub it on the bottoms of Rosie & Watson’s feet to boost their immune systems. I also use the Thieves Cleaner (sample in the starter kit) on every surface in our house! If you check out my “thieves” instastory highlights, then you’ll see an experiment I shared where Thieves beat out Clorox Bleach, 409, and other popular cleaners in killing bacteria and germs by a LONG shot.
- Mix Panaway with your favorite lotion or apply it directly (or “neat”) for an icy hot sensation. It’s great headache relief if you rub it on your temples!
- Rub Digize on your belly with the help of a carrier oil to soothe stomach troubles and reduce bloating.
- Lemon will work just like Goo-Gone. It removes all sticky residue.
I could go on and on, but those are some of my favorite uses that come to mind first!
You might be wondering…
- Why Young Living and not the cheaper ones from Amazon? Not all oils are created equal—and it’s important to get good ones because you are breathing in these oils on a daily basis. A lot of cheaper oils contain chemical additives or dilution to “stretch” the oil, so you’re not getting the full effect. Young Living gives a “Seed to Seal” promise, which guarantees that their oils are 100% pure. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty, read this.
- Do I have to buy a starter kit to purchase oils from Young Living? No, but just being honest, it truly is best to because those starter kit oils will be your base foundation—they are musts! Not only are you getting $360 worth of starter kit products for just $160, but you’ll be able to buy anything else from Young Living at 24% off the retail price… forever. If you don’t want to buy the starter kit, but just want to buy some oils, just click here, then check the “retail customer” box,” then click “product catalog” in the same blue box.
- Do I have to sell oils or purchase monthly oils as member? No! Being a member just means you’re getting the starter kit for more than 50% off and will get wholesale pricing on all of your future purchases. (So worth it!)
- Okay, I want the oils, what do I do from here? To sign up, ORDER HERE and make sure the number 15285596 appears in both the “Enroller” and “Sponsor ID” fields and choose wholesale member. Make sure you’ve selected “premium starter kit.” From there, you can choose which diffuser you want (I recommend the Desert Mist Diffuser) and if you want to add more to your order.
- How will I know what to do with my oils once I get them? With your starter get, you’ll get plenty of learning materials including an encyclopedia of all of YL’s products and the most frequent uses of the oils. You’ll also be invited by me to a private wellness group on facebook and can follow along with me on my journey of discovering essential oils on my instagram @holycitychicessentials!
- I think I’d like to sell oils with you… Cool!! When you sign up, you’ll get an email from me that contains all that information, so you’ll have it when and if you’re ready to jump in.
- What bottles do you use to put the oil mixtures in, like Thieves Cleaner spray bottles, rollerballs, etc.? Here are some popular products that I use!
Label Maker: A lot of people use this to label their bottles.
Fractionate Coconut Oil: This is a great carrier oil for creating roller balls and it’s a great moisturizer too! Just infuse with whatever oils you want.
Brown 16oz Bottles: Just add one capful of Thieves cleaner and fill the rest up with water!
Blue 16oz Bottles: Same as above, but blue. I highly recommend this brand because the handle is so sturdy! I bought a different brand once and the handle was v
Really nice bottles, various sizes: This brand makes super nice bottles! Expensive, but so beautiful!
Blue Rollerballs: Add about 12 drops of any combination of oils, then fill the rest with a carrier oil.
Brown Rollerballs: “ “
2oz bottle + rollerball combo: A nice option for just starting out!
4oz Jars: Great for putting body butters in, etc.
I don’t want to overload this post, so next time I’ll share my other favorite products from Young Living with you guys. (Watson takes their vitamins, Rosie uses the Seedlings wash, I drink Ningxia, I use certain oils to help regulate my thyroid, etc.) Tons of information coming at you soon! If you want more information right now and don’t feel like waiting for the next blog post, hop on over to my oils instagram page and watch all of the story highlights. There, I have unboxed the starter kit, shared DIY recipes, and lots more. xoxo